Statement of Beliefs…
- We the members of First Baptist Church in Covington Georgia believe in the one true and living God, creator of all things, almighty, and sovereign in the universe.
- We believe that He is a three person God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that He has revealed Himself generally through His Creation and Moral law and specifically through His own voice, the incarnation of His son, and His written word, the Bible.
- We believe that the Bible is the inspired, inherent, infallible word of God.
- We believe that God created all things good, but that mankind freely sinned against God and in that sin has fallen from God’s perfection.
- We believe that sinful man stands opposed to God and in that sin faces the eternal just wrath of the Almighty God.
- We believe that God is a gracious God and has extended His grace to sinful man through His Son Jesus Christ.
- We believe that Christ the Son was made man and lived on earth.
- We believe that Jesus Christ lived without sin in perfect adherence to the will of the Father.
- We believe that Jesus was betrayed and was crucified on a Roman cross.
- We believe that in this crucifixion Christ the Son took on the full weight of the Father’s wrath against the sinfulness of man and became an atoning sacrifice for all who believe in Him.
- We believe that Christ died and was buried, but after three days he was raised from the dead to live and to reign over heaven and earth.
- We believe that after His resurrection He met with His disciples, commissioned His Church, and ascended into heaven, from where He reigns, and is building His Kingdom.
- We believe that this Church is the presence of the Kingdom of Christ on Earth.
- We believe that Christ’s gift of grace and forgiveness of sin is available to all who believe in Him as Savior and Lord, and who demonstrate that belief by living faithfully to Him.
- We believe that this offer of grace is exclusive only to those who confess and believe the Lordship and saving work of Jesus. Therefore, we believe in the Great Commission and that we are charged by Christ to make disciples.
- We believe that followers of Christ are called to join together in localized bodies or local churches that are called to live out the life of a disciple.
- We believe in Baptism by immersion in water as a proclamation of faith and an experience of Grace.
- We believe in the observation of the Lord’s Supper as a proclamation of Christ’s work and Kingdom until He returns.
- We believe that Christ will return to establish fully His authority over all things.
- We believe that Christ will judge all of humanity and condemn all evil, and that He will call those who have believed in Him to life in His everlasting Kingdom.